Thursday, August 21, 2008

The rose is a flower of love

The Fallen Firefighters Memorial, which is just behind the State House, has a beautiful fountain with the Firefighters Prayer carved on it. This single white rose was sitting atop the fountain when I was there at lunch.

When I'm called to duty, wherever flames may rage
give me strength to save a life, whatever be its age

Help me to embrace a little child before it is too late
or save an older person from the horror of that fate

Enable me to be alert to hear the weakest shout
and quickly and efficiently to put the fire out

I want to fill my calling and to give the best in me
to guard my neighbor and protect his property

And if according to my destiny, I must the earth depart,
please bless with your protecting hand those closest to my heart

No comments: