Tuesday, January 19, 2010

10 on Tuesday


1. I voted today! Yay for civic duties! I will now anxiously await election results.

2. I've had a bit of a sweet tooth lately, which is not usually my thing. Last night I made hot cocoa from scratch (with choco chips, not cocoa powder, because that's what I had) and tonight I tried a recipe for chocolate mug cake that was halfway between this one and this one...but with no cocoa powder I threw in some instant coffee and lots of choco chips to give it flavor. Pete said "pretty good" and sounded very surprised. All of the choco chips sank to the bottom, but that's okay - they end up on top when you dump the cake out of the mug. It would be much better with some vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, but it'll get the job done on it's own! ;)

3. The long weekend was awesome! There was a hair cut, lots of crocheting, Avatar, lots of pajama wearing, and enough working out to make me incredibly sore today. Did I mention there was a lot of pajama wearing and relaxing?

4. The working out? Yeah...that hurts. I came home to an empty house on Sunday and my first mission was to put on a workout video and work on getting myself into shape (isn't everyone doing that this month?). I should point out now that I'm barely coordinated enough to follow these types of videos, and that we don't have a ton of space here in our living room. I'm sure it would be amusing if anyone had witnessed it. At some point about 10 minutes into the video, Pete texted me saying that Hea Yon wanted me to come over and save her from being the only female at her house...and I texted him back that I thought I was dying. I actually felt okay when I first finished - I had definitely gotten in a workout, but I didn't hurt like I thought I would. And then I took a shower. And I, honest to God, was pretty sure Pete would come home and find me sleeping on the couch because my legs had stopped working and I couldn't get upstairs to bed. Clearly, the working out was a success!

5. It was so much a success that I did it again on Monday! I'd been in pajamas all day and it was after 4pm. Pete was going downstairs to hop on a treadmill, and I thought to myself that perhaps half an hour on the elliptical would help with this soreness situation - a little warming up and stretching and moving to help my muscles from getting too much more stiff and sore. I took the elevator back up to our apartment. And then took a shower. And then CRIED. Because people, sitting down? HURT. Standing up again? HURT. Going to the bathroom? EXTRA HURT. Yeah. I think that maybe taking a day off would have been a better solution to my soreness problem.

6. Today, I took the day off. There will be some stretching before bed, as there has been throughout the day. And hopefully, tomorrow I will be able to go to the bathroom without whimpering in pain every time I get on/off of the toilet. (Was that more than you guys wanted to know? It's about pain in my quads/hamstrings, it's really not that gross.)

7. Oh, let's talk about Avatar quickly! It was a) too long, b) an eh story, and c) beautiful and technically amazing. Also, we were smart enough to buy tickets online to be sure we got them, but not smart enough to get to the theater early and ensure we didn't end up in that front, flat section of seats. I think we all had stiff necks Saturday night. Oops! But glad I saw it in the theaters, the 3D was pretty awesome.

8. I do enjoy the new spate of 3D/3D Imax movies coming out...but I kind of hope it doesn't turn into the norm. Is that weird? I can't really explain why I feel that way, but I do.

9. I was very excited to get a belated Christmas gift today...that was a gift certificate to Exhale Spa! What?! I know! I'm so in love with that place it's ridiculous. I'm currently stalking the weather forecast and waiting for the next freezing cold spell, which is exactly when I will make an appointment for a massage there, get myself all relaxed (thanks to Risa, who is a seriously amazing massage therapist), and then sit in the steam room until I'm so warm and happy that going back out into the freezing cold won't even faze me! I can't wait!

10. On the other hand, I could really do without another freezing cold spell...those 40 degree days over the weekend really made me happy. I didn't need a hat! Or mittens! My scarf was only wrapped around me once! Is it too early to say that I can't wait for the spring?

No comments: