Sunday, November 14, 2010

Girls Day



This morning I met Leyre and Amy for brunch (we missed you, Lana!) at Sel de la Terre, where we enjoyed mimosas and rather tasty food for essentially free - happy birthday to me, from the bossman! I highly recommend the SDLT Burger. I know, I go to a nice French restaurant and order a burger. What's wrong with me?! I've had dinner there before, so I've sampled the tasty French fair - and the burger was delicious! Warning - if you go there for brunch and order a side of bacon, they will bring you approximately one pound of tasty bacon. Be prepared!

After brunch, we meandered along the Fens to the MFA. We passed on checking out the new wing (it looked crazy crowded) and headed for some exhibits that were rather appropriate for a girls day - Avedon Fashion 1944-2000 and Scassi: American Couturier.

I've always associated Avedon more with his amazing portraits, but his fashion work is equally awe inspiring! There were a few that I particularly loved, and I am going to have to head back before January to admire them again.



We also came across another photo exhibit - Nicholas Nixon: Family Album. This was a much smaller, but equally inspiring collection. Nothing beats watching a lady touching the glass of the framed photos and dragging her fingers along it! Don't people know you don't touch things in museums?! Aside from the smudges she left behind, it was a pretty incredible series of thirty-six total photos - four sisters, always standing in the same order, photographed annually since 1975.


The Scassi exhibit was one that I happened to catch sight of on the MFA site and thought we should check out - and it was pretty cool! I'd never heard the name before, but Scassi has been making made to order clothing in New York since the 50's, dressing the likes of Barbara Streisand, Ivana Trump, and Barbara and Laura Bush, to name a few. It was a small exhibit - about a dozen dresses total, but there were a few among them that I wouldn't mind owning!

ETA: I had forgotten when I first posted this that it was on my Fall To Do List - cross another one off, woohoo! I am actually one post behind on the list, I did make it to East Boston back in October, and I'll work on getting that posted in the next few days. Technically that should maybe only count for half of a thing, but you'll have to wait for me to get that post up to hear that story!

Now that I've looked at the list again, I guess you could call me two posts behind on that list. I have in fact been crochet, crochet, crocheting! I'll have to see if there's a way for me to take some pictures to prove it without giving away Christmas gifts before they are unwrapped. :)

2 comments:

Alannah said...

Apparently, I read this too much in greader because what is this whole new look to your blog!? Or did I just forget about it... anywho, I missed you ladies too! So wish I'd been there for a mimosa! Thankfully, we have at least enjoyed a vomit-free day. Wohoo!

Sarah G said...

Haha - I did change it a while back when I got bored one day. I can't remember when it was now. :)

Glad T is doing better!!!