Tuesday, February 01, 2011

10 on Tuesday


1. Before we really get rolling: a confession. I started this list of 10 last Tuesday, but I haven't been carrying my camera often (see below), so I didn't have a picture until today.

2. It's been a few weeks since I posted my Winter To Do List, and I already missed one week of using the crock pot. I'm going to give myself a pass - if I average once/week I'm okay with it. I've been using the recipes from Not Your Mothers Slow Cooker Recipes for Two with a lot of success. Risotto without an hour of standing and stirring at the stove? Yes please!

3. As far as progress on my other To Do List items go, there has been little. I do now have recommendations for a Vietnamese restaurant (thanks to my Vietnamese coworker) to try, and have found friends who are interested in accompanying me for ice skating, the Americas Wing at the MFA, and the Freedom Trail. Time to start picking dates!

4. I went back to the gym last week for only the second time this month. My knees were not happy with me for it. On the bright side, I finally figured out a routine I feel comfortable with (gym after work, change into dry/warm sweats for the T ride, and shower at home) and sorted out how to entertain myself while I'm there. There are only two TVs visible from the cardio equipment and they usually have on ESPN or MSNBC. Stocks and sports - probably the two things I am least interested in watching! The last season of Mad Men, though? That I'm very happy to watch, even if it's on my little two-ish inch iPod screen.

5. The gym going is great, but it is also not-so-great in that it's the primary reason I haven't been carrying my camera. Once I pack my gym gear into my bag, there's no room left for my camera. The bright side of this is that it has confirmed my desire to buy a smaller point and shoot, so I've been reading a lot of reviews over the past week. I didn't ever think I would be in the market for a point and shoot again, but it turns out that having a pocket-size (or close to pocket-size) point and shoot means I take a whole lot more pictures. I sat down at the beginning of January to put together my annual "Year in the Life of Sarah and Pete" photo book and realized that I didn't take pictures of our events and outings last year. I took plenty of pictures for myself, but they aren't pictures that in any way represent what Pete and I actually did last year. I got tired of lugging around my DSLR with the heavier of my lenses, which also happens to be the most versatile but is least often actually on my camera. Hopefully I can make a camera decision soon and remedy this!

6. I have been reading a lot lately, using the Kindle App on my phone. I always have my phone with me, so I end up reading for a few minutes here and there while I'm waiting in line for my Starbucks or for the elevator, and reading in tight spots (like on the T at rush hour) is much easier. The catch is that I hate to cough up more than five dollars for an electronic book. It's a file! The production costs can't be that high. Why should I pay as much, or even more, than it would cost me to buy the same physical book?! This has lead to my reading a lot of classics - books that fall under public domain - which are available for free or super cheap (similar to the Librivox audio books). Some of them I remember reading when I was younger,  and all of them have been fun and refreshing reading. I knocked out four of the eight Anne of Green Gables books before Christmas, got quickly sucked into The Secret Garden after New Years, and most recently I've settled quickly into the fun of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

7. It's been such a snowy winter (and I love it, I'm sorry for everyone that doesn't, but snow is what makes the freezing cold winters worth it in my mind!) that my boots have been getting daily wear more or less since I got back from Virginia after Christmas. My poor boots...on Saturday the pull tab on one of the zippers came right off in my hand when I was putting them on. It's been replaced with a paperclip, which doesn't seem to be holding up very well. Oops! Maybe it was the result of rust/whatever after a certain wintery romp a while back, or maybe it was just time - I think this is their fifth New England winter, after all.

8. Speaking of last Saturday, Pete and I spent most of our day at the movies. We saw both True Grit and The Fighter, and they were both really good. You should go see them. Also, going to the movies twice in one day is crazy fun.

9. Historically I've never had a problem sleeping. Pete jokes that I'm out the second my head hits the pillow. Lately, this has not been so true. For about the last month, there has been at least one night each week where I just can't fall asleep, so I move to the couch and watch TV until I'm sleepy enough to go back to bed. It appears as though 4am is the magic falling asleep time on these night. This has lead to me working my way very quickly through Brothers & Sisters (from the start) on Netflix Instant. Rob Lowe? He's awfully attractive.

10. These late nights on the couch have lead to a lot of time cuddling with Barley. The second I give up on sleeping and come out of the bedroom, he's glued to me. And his favorite place to be is not just curled up on top of me, but under the blanket with me. Where he does his best impression of a fire ball, because he gives off a whole lot of heat for such a little guy!!!

No comments: