Thursday, March 08, 2012

Number 3: Take the BPL Art & Architecture Tour

web_3.8.2012_BPL_7

I have been wanting to take the Art & Architecture Tour at the Boston Public Library for a long time, but hadn't found anyone interested in doing it with me until recently. Katie saw it on my Winter To Do List and mentioned she was on board, so we finally got around to meeting up after work for the ~hour long tour (after a stop at Thinking Cup for tea/hot cocoa).

web_3.8.2012_BPL_4bThe tour guides are all volunteers, and ours was great! She certainly knew her stuff, and added to the basic information with anecdotes that were often quite funny. Our group was probably the perfect size - about 12-14 of us total - and the tour was the perfect length. I'm sure there is a lot more to the library than was covered, but any longer would have been a bit overwhelming. My favorite bits were when she talked about recent restoration to the artwork and what it entailed, and hearing about the process behind getting some of the artwork into the spaces.

I can't recommend this tour enough...for one thing, it's free! There's so much to see and do in Boston that I think a lot of people miss out on smaller things like this because they aren't as well publicized. The tour is just over an hour, and it's smack in the heart of Back Bay - folks should be able to work it into a trip easily! In fact, I'm interested in taking the tour again if only because I'm curious to see if different tour guides offer different anecdotes.

The next time you're at the library, for the tour or otherwise, don't forget to pet the lion's tail on your way past - rumor has it that stroking the tail of a lion statue will make it come to life!

web_3.8.2012_BPL_6

No comments: