Tuesday, March 08, 2011

March Madness


1. I've been on a roll with the gym lately! I have a little widget for CardioTrainer that takes my workouts (see above) and puts on the front screen of my phone how many calories I've burned in the last seven days. I am very motivated by watching that little widget stay platinum and gold rather than turning blue when your calorie count gets low!

2. My knees aren't very happy about this gym going, unfortunately. I'm pretty sure this has a lot to do with a tight IT Band, because it doesn't seem to be a problem except when it's been a week or longer since I've done some yoga. Hopefully the gym finds someone to replace the Tuesday night yoga instructor when she goes on maternity leave, but if not I'll have to make sure I work in at least one night a week at Healing Tree.

3. I got to spend Saturday afternoon at a baby shower for my friend Kate, who is due in just under a month. I, however, am hoping for an early baby because I would be more than happy to win the pool. I gave her a nice early delivery date and a small baby...because I am an awesome friend! Kate's father-in-law, who happens to deliver babies for a living, wasn't convinced I was going in the right direction with a pre-due date delivery. I guess we have no choice but to wait and see!

4. Saturday was a busy day - we got to spend the Saturday night at karaoke celebrating our friend Jamie's birthday. For those of you that don't know Jamie, he's really a karaoke legend in JP, so that was obviously a fun night!

5. Sunday I stayed in my PJs until 1:00. Not because I was hung over or tired, but because I didn't really want to drag myself and my laundry to the laundry mat, and so I laid around reading until I couldn't put it off any longer. It was kind of awesome lounging around in PJs until one in the afternoon.

6. We've had some nice warm weather over the last week, and there's almost no snow left on the ground - a few of the giant plow piles are now very small piles, but you would hardly notice them when you're walking down our street now. It's nice to be able to wear real shoes and boots around instead of living in my snow boots. One of which no longer stays zipped for more than five minutes.

7. Yesterday, however, it snapped back to winter cold, and the 30 MPH wind gusts didn't help. The wind is so crazy in the financial district - all the office buildings turn the streets into a wind tunnel. I was crossing the street to get to work in the morning and I started in the crosswalk when I stepped into the street, but when I got to the other side I was six feet away from it because the wind had pushed me diagonal across the street. And I'm not exactly a light weight (just ask my doctor!).

8. Speaking of weight, I hadn't originally been super concerned when my official weight at the doctors office was my highest ever. I'd bought a scale over the summer and it was reading 10 pounds less than the doctors scale, so I attributed it to being fully clothed, an off day/week, and a different scale. And then a week or so ago I weighed myself at the gym. That scale agreed with the doctors scale. When I got home, I weighed myself on my own scale...and it read 10 pounds less. Oops! I guess I have a "vanity scale" - makes you feel great about yourself, even if it is a lie.

9. I mentioned a while back (or at least I think I did) that I've been reading a bunch of "classics" on my phone over the past few months - The Secret Garden, Anne of Green Gables, etc... I started Little Women a while ago, and it's taking me forever to finish. I feel like I should love this book, and I know people that love it and read it over and over again...but it's just not holding my attention. I've been flipping between it and some cheesy chic lit for the last few weeks. I kind of just wish I could stick with it and finish it, but I just don't have the attention span to do that.

10. Seeing as I live with someone who is an Iowa alum that was born and raised in Wisconsin (and happens to be an avid football fan), this video of a college football game narrated as a nature film totally cracked me up. You know what doesn't crack me up though? The prospect of an 18 game NFL season. And that's enough football talk from me...for the next year or so.

To bed!

No comments: