Sunday, November 13, 2011

Cold Weather Camping

11.13.2011 Camping 5

We spent Saturday night camping at Ponkapoag Pond with friends. I was a little nervous about camping when it was pretty chilly out (lows in the 30s overnight), but we had a great time and I can't wait to do it again. I can't recomend these cabins enough - close to home that you avoid spending half your weekend in the car, but it feels like it's a milion miles away. The cabins are great, and with the wood stove you stay so warm that you barely need a sleeping bag.

11.13.2011 Camping 4I still can't get over having grown up only a few miles away (I played soccer a zillion Saturday mornings on a field that is barely half a mile down the road from the gate to the access road), but never knowing what is there! I didn't even know the cabins existed until a friend told me last year, and I'd never actually been on the trails around the pond until earlier this summer. Our running club runs the trails around the pond (4 miles, minimal elevation but a enough small inclines to make you work for it) every few weeks and joinging them a few months ago was the first time I'd ever been in that part of the Blue Hills Reservation - I wish I had known about it before.

1 comment:

Dad said...

Was this part of Occupy Ponkapoag?