Thursday, March 15, 2012

Beauty as Duty

web_3.15.2012_MFA_3

I was at the MFA for a work event in honor of Women's History Month...in addition to a guided tour, there was networking with other ladies from work, wine, and some cheese (and crackers and veggies, but I think we all know that I only cared about the cheese). Anyway, we were given a tour of the Beauty as Duty exhibit by the woman that curated the exhibit, which was pretty awesome and has completely spoiled me for seeing museum exhibits any other way.  How do I get curator led tours all the time? I need to work on making that happen.

I knew as soon as I walked into the room that I would love this exhibit. I've been wholly immersed lately in books and TV shows set in Britain, set anywhere in the few years before WWI to just after WWII (Downton Abbey and Maisie Dobbs, anyone?), so of course it would happen that the exhibit we were seeing was about WWII Britain! I had to laugh as I realized it, as I had RSVP'd to the event without paying any attention to what we would actually be seeing at the museum. After I walked into the room, I turned to the wall with the exhibit write up (Is there a technical term for that? You know what I'm talking about - the bigger blurb on the wall right at the start?), and there was a photo of Winston Churchill - by Yousuf Karsh, hands down one of my favorite portrait photographers. Clearly I was meant to see this exhibit!

If you're in Boston, check the exhibit out! I'm pretty sure it will be interesting, even if you don't get a guided tour from the curator...plus, I accept bribes (small ones work, I'm easy) and would be happy to see it again and share my knowledge! ;)

No comments: